Random things about me (aka M.E.)
I am participating in the Ultimate Blog Challenge to post every day this month (#blogboost). We were issued a challenge to write 10 Random Things about ourselves as an introduction. As a secondary challenge, I decided to do it quickly and without too much thought. So, here goes:
- I have my father’s eyes and calm demeanor – and a touch of my mother’s stubborn streak
- I don’t have a favourite colour – unless rainbow counts? I love playing with colour in different combinations to create interest and texture
- In the past 2 years, I have decided to tell people I am an artist instead of describing myself as ‘someone who makes things’.
- In addition to Canada and the US, I have lived and taught in Japan, Morocco, and the Czech Republic. I have visited more than 40 countries. Pictures at right of me with some of my students, who took me to a wedding dresser when I bought a wedding kimono. I didn’t know it was a wedding kimono when I bought it. I also didn’t realize the ordeal of dressing for the occasion – seven layers of silk under dresses, 2 tiny samuri knives tucked in the bodice and about 4 feet of train tucked up into a bustle. Also, I don’t have black hair; that is a wig I was told weighed about 10 kg (20 lbs) How would you like to wear that all day while remaining as graceful as a geisha.
- I am an enthusiastic volunteer and have spent 40 years as volunteer and staff at not-for-profit organizations, mainly as Project Coordinator and/ or Volunteer Manager. I have directed music and arts festivals, worked in environmental education, led build crews for Habitat for Humanity, taught ESL and literacy, and led historical tours, to name a few. I am so grateful for all the opportunities to participate with great teams and learn so much from kind and generous people.
- I have been an adult educator for 30+ years and love it. My first years of teaching were in Junior High music. I am not cut out to be a junior high teacher. Or a music teacher for that matter.
- I have had my own businesses off and on since I was 13 and started selling macrame wall hangings and bags at community events.
- I have a tendency to overthinking – and maybe perfectionism. Though I’m not sure that is the right word. I’m working on it. I have a plan. It’s a good plan. Maybe it could use just a little tweaking.
- I have visited all 10 provinces and lived in five. I have always wanted to see the territories and still hope to do that, perhaps even for a work term (a bonus random fact)
- I have never felt confident in drawing skills and can’t sketch anything that looks like what I have in mind. I have always wished that I could draw more realistically and have learned that I am more successful with fabric and thread. As an example, this picture of my first art quilt. I like to think I have come a long way.